Subject: INN FAQ Part 2/3: Tutorial on installing
From: [email-masked] (Tom Limoncelli)
Date: 5 Nov 1993 05:00:12 -0000
Newsgroups: news.software.nntp,news.software.b,news.answers

Posted-By: auto-faq 2.4
Archive-name: inn-faq/part2

Last Changed: $Id: FAQ-inn.2,v 1.12 1993/09/21 16:01:30 tal Exp $

This is a separate guide to installing INN.  It is written for INN 1.4,
but should work on any version.  It is written and maintained by Norman
J.  Pieniazek ([email-masked]).  Please send updates and
corrections to him.

INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE OF INN 1.4

I. INSTALLATION

1. Get: inn1.4.tar.Z from ftp.uu.net (192.48.96.9).  This file is in
   the directory: /networking/news/nntp/inn

2. Get: patch.tar.Z from ftp.uu.net.  This file is in the directory /pub.
   Compile and install patch in the directory: /usr/local/bin.

3. If you don't have any gnu software, ftp to aeneas.mit.edu (18.71.0.38), go to directory
   /pub/gnu and get the following files.

   fgrep		current version: fgrep-1.1
   gawk			current version: gawk-2.15.2
   gcc			current version: gcc-2.4.2
   grep			current version: grep-1.6
   make			current version: make-3.65
   sed			current version: sed-1.14

Compile and install these programs starting with make and gcc.  Some
people have reported problems with gnu sed 2.02.  If people want to
help me maintain a list of which GNU replacements are required on
certain OS's, please send me the data.  I'll keep the list up to date.

4. Get perl-4.0.36.tar.gz from ftp.uu.net - directory: /archive/systems/gnu.
   Compile and install in /usr/bin.

5. As root, create directories:	/usr/local/inn (this is your $INN directory)
				/usr/local/news
				/news/bin
				/news/lib

6. Move inn1.4.tar.Z to $INN.  Change directory to $INN  
   Type: "zcat inn1.4.tar.Z | tar xvf -".  This will install
   inn files for compilation.

7. Change directory to $INN/config and follow the instructions
   in R. Salz's INN nstallation manual.  At least, change
   the compiler from cc to gcc. (If you have Solaris 2.1 - see changes
   made to the config files in Daniel Rich's letter).

8. Change directory to $INN.  Type: "make world install".

9. If you get no fatal errors from make, check the /usr/local/news
   directory for history* files.  Remove or rename them.  Go back
   to the $INN directory and type: "BUILD" to run the final
   installation script.

10. Read Part 3 of this FAQ.
    Follow the instructions to set up at least your newsfeeds, hosts.nntp,
    and nnrp.access files.  Get the active file from your newsfeed and
    edit it to your taste. Remember to include the control and junk
    newsgroups.

11. Type: "/usr/bin/perl /usr/local/news/bin/inncheck" and correct
    any errors reported by inncheck.

12. Type: "sh /usr/local/etc/rc.news".  Look in syslog
    for any errors.  Type: "ps -aux" and check, if innd owner
    is news.

13. In /etc/aliases create an entry: "usenet: <you, or root>". 
    Reboot, change directory to /var/yp, type: "make".  From the same
    directory, type: "/usr/etc/yp/ypinit -m".  Restart innd (see #12).

14. Type: "/bin/crontab -e news" and insert the following line:
    40 23 * * * /usr/local/news/bin/news.daily delayrm
if you are using overchan (in newsfeeds):
    40 23 * * * /usr/local/news/bin/news.daily delayrm expireover

15. Run tests from your machine to the server (your machine at telnet
    port 119).  See Tom Limoncelli's manual (Part 3 of the FAQ) for details.

16. After completing the test, be sure to delete the entry for your
    machine from the hosts.nntp file.  If you will not do it, your
    machine will be treated as a "feeder" and not as a "reader".

17. Watch the news.daily reports in your mail for any
    additional errors.

18. Adding new groups - see Part II, Section 2.b, or:
    a. Type: "ctlinnd pause 'edit active'"
    b. Edit the active file.  Format is: groupname himark lomark flag.
       Set himark to 0000000000 and lomark to 0000000001.
    c. Run inncheck (see #11) to check the new active file for errors.    
    d. Type: "ctlinnd reload active 'new active'".
    e. Type: "ctlinnd go 'edit active'".

19. Set posting. 
     a. Edit the /usr/local/news/newsfeeds file and add:
	<alias for your feed>/<full address of feed\
		:*\	(for all local postings)
		:Tf,Wnm:	(standard entry)
     b. Edit /usr/local/news/nntpsend.ctl file and add:
        <alias for your feed>:<full address of feed>::-T1800 -t300
     c. Type: "/bin/crontab -e news" and insert a line:
	0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * /usr/local/news/bin/nntpsend
     d. Run inncheck (see #11).
     e. Post to misc.test and include reply in the Subject line,
        automatic responses will be mailed to usenet (see 13) within
        a few minutes.

20. To start innd automatically at bootup, include at the end of
    your rc.local the following lines:

    #
    # Start INN news service - Internet News Daemon (innd)
    #
    if [ -f /usr/local/etc/rc.news ]; then
           /usr/local/etc/rc.news; echo "Starting INN news service"
    fi

II. MAINTENANCE

1. Newgroups are sometimes added automatically through a control message.
   A mail message to usenet will alert to such an automatic change
   to the active file.  If you do not want to subscribe to a news group,
   change directory to /usr/local/news and type:
   
    ctlinnd rmgroup xx.xxx.xx

2. Sometimes, a mail message will arrive for usenet with a checkgroups
   file.  Remove header, save the body of the message in:
   
   /usr/local/news/bin/control/news_control/news_control_todaysdate
   
   cd to that directory and type:
   "../docheckgroups <news_control_todaysdate >todaysdate_pre"
   
   Read the output file (todaysdate_pre) and carry out all the instructions
   that you think pertain to your situation.  You will have to change
   directory to /usr/local/news and:
    
    a. remove some discontinued groups:
        type: "ctlinnd rmgroup xx.xxx.xxxx"

    b. add a group:
        type: "ctlinnd newgroup xx.xxx.xxxx flag ''"

    c. mark a group correctly:
        type: "ctlinnd changegroup xx.xxx.xxxx flag"

  Run inncheck and repeat the docheckgroups command:
   "../docheckgroups <news_control_todaysdate >todaysdate_after"
   Check for any problems.  

   Also, edit the /usr/local/news/newsgroups file to reflect any
   changes you introduced.

3. IMPORTANT!!! Never run fsck on the drive where the /spool/news
   files are located.  Innd has a lot of active disk I/O going on
   and fsck will show a lot of errors.  Use ctlinnd to throttle,
   pause, or shotdown innd - see the manual page for ctlinnd.

-- 
Tom Limoncelli -- [email-masked] (work) -- [email-masked] (play)
"Psst!  Hey, Anthony!  Y'know what I        | Disclaimer:  I do not
like about existing?"  "Uh... uh... what?"  | speak for Mentor Graphics.
"Possessing a physical extension."  -TSA    |